Wednesday, January 28, 2009

For-real Fireplace

The first fireplace- the black one with the sound system- didn't work out; apparently there was no anticipated delivery date, and they had unofficially already cancelled my order for me. We weren't too interested in getting a fireplace in July, so we moved on to Plan B - one of the alternative fireplaces we found at Lowe's for 25% off the sale prices. While talking with an employee of Lowes about availability and the possibility of purchasing now and picking up later, I learned that if I took a chance and waited one more day, I could get a fireplace for 50% off! Of course we took the risk that the fireplace mantel and firebox we wanted would be available today for that kind of deal... Last night at 8:30 I called the store in Cheyenne to make sure they still had the mantel and firebox (both floor models, but possible additional discounts for that), but in the four hours prior, they had sold the firebox. The mantel's not much good without the firebox! So, it was on to Ft. Collins, which is only an extra 45 minutes or so from Cheyenne - yep, they had both of them, and their floor model had no scratches on it. With 15 minutes left to spare in the business day, it looked like we were in luck. I made the call bright and early this morning, and no one had beaten me to them - we got our mantel & firebox! Now all we have to do is figure out when and how to pick them up. The mantel is 57" wide, 52" tall, and 24" deep - it's massive. So, all in all, we got a much bigger, more impressive mantel with bigger firebox for $200 cheaper than the black one we had originally ordered. I think I can do without the audio component for that discount! Here's the new mantel:

No comments: