Wednesday, April 01, 2009

New Adventure

I decided I would like to try making a fancy cake for Easter. Not sure why I feel like doing this, but I'm excited to try it. I'm going to try making a marshmallow fondant for the first time, too. Maybe I'm just bored and tired of my normal time-user-uper activities of cleaning and paper crafting. I'm trying to not bake as much because it's not healthy for us, so maybe I'm trying to build up a big baking activity since I won't get to do it much... So, yep, that's my new adventure...

Now I just need ideas... It'd be nice to make it religious, but I'm kinda running into a dead end. I don't want to make an empty tomb or a cross. (too easy and expected) I thought about an easter egg shape with an easter lily on it... or a basket of eggs, but that's kinda secular. No bunnies or chicks, I don't think. I'm also trying to come up with creative ideas for shaping the cake - either a couple 9x13s I stack and carve or maybe put the cake batter in a couple of bowls to make it rounded?? I would take a rounded shape like in the picture below, and I could cut it in half top to bottom, then put the large flat sides down on the plate/board (the edges I just cut), with what was the "top" of the cake in the bowl (the smaller flat sides) together to make a 3-D egg. Sounds easier than carving a stack. It makes sense in my head - I'm wondering if I could make it look as good as it does in my mind! It would end up being shapped like this football - only an egg!

Here's my idea for the basket of eggs: I'd make a stacked square cake, covered in the fondant in a basket weave pattern, green dyed coconut on top, with egg pops like these pushed in the top:
My egg pops would be more blues & greens, because I'm not so into pinks. They are basically crumbled cake mixed with cream cheese or frosting, shaped into eggs, dipped in chocolate, or maybe covered in fondant if I'm really into this, and decorated. This cake would take a lot more work, but hey, I've got time on my hands, so maybe this is the way to go? Any ideas or thoughts?

No comments: