Thursday, September 18, 2008

Decisions, Decisions...

I'm a traditionalist for the most part. I like classics and I like old school. Until it comes to weddings - mine particularly. While growing up, EG's mom played organ for MANY weddings. I can't tell you how many wedding rehearsals and weddings I've been to. I've heard every song (except Ave Maria, right mom?!?), vow, pledge, and ring exchange ever I think. So, I've been given ample opportunity to ponder what I do and don't like about each. The pastor who will be assisting EG's uncle in marrying us (that's a whole other story...) gave us an order of service to look at, and out came the red pen... I changed up the order to be more traditional, then switched out the vows, pledges, and ring things to ones I wrote using many examples.

Here's our Pledge/Declaration of Intent:
you have made a very serious and important decision in choosing to marry each other today. You are entering into a sacred covenant as life partners in God. The quality of your marriage will reflect what you put into nurturing this relationship. You have the opportunity to go forward from this day to create a faithful, kind, and tender relationship. We bless you this day. It is up to you to keep the blessings flowing each and every day of your lives together. We pray you have the wisdom, compassion, and constancy to create a peaceful sanctuary in which you can both grow in love. HC/EG, do you understand and accept this responsibility, and do you promise to do your very best each day to create a loving, healthy, and respectful marriage and stand by each other to share in joy as well as sorrow, triumph as well as defeat, side by side as long as you both shall live?
Here's the Vows:
I love you. I am confident God has chosen you to be my husband/wife and you are an answer to my prayer. I am blessed to have the honor of going through all of life with you. With our future as bright as the promises of God, I will care for you, honor and protect you. I will be faithful and true to you. I give all I have and all my love, my friend and my love. Today I give to you me. HC/EG, I take you to be my husband/wife.
And the Ring Thing:
All that I am I share with you. I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows – of my trust, and love for you, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you.

I'm SO looking forward to being able to say these things to HC on our wedding day...

Music is a whole other thing... EG's mom and dad just laughed when I told them I wanted "Ride of the Valkyries" when I walk down the aisle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKL5E3zSjs Seriously - how cool and dramatic is that song?!?! After passing up the traditional "Here Comes the Bride," I've settled for a nice Bach piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Oe3nkQji8 We've also got the tried-and-true "Moonlight Sonata" and "Canon in D," which has ALWAYS been a favorite of mine! EG's dad is going to sing two solos - one preservice and one during the Unity Candle. EG's dad is also going to play recorder for the recessional - another idea I kicked to the curb was Dad walking me down the aisle while playing, much to his chagrin... EG's aunt is kind enough to provide all the keyboard (piano & organ) for the wedding. It took awhile, but I'm very happy with our music selections. (Although I do still think it would be fantastic to do Ride of the Valkyries...)

No comments: