Monday, September 26, 2011

Dove Hunting

On a hot, fall day, Ty & two of his buddies went dove hunting. They got around 19 birds when they went out during the day, and were planning to go out in the evening to get some more. He invited me to join them - only to observe, though - I'm not as good of a shot as they are and it would certainly not have been as fruitful a hunt if I actually participated in the hunting part! After work we headed out, and it was so much fun! The temperature cooled down some and was just beautiful. It was wonderful and was such a needed break to get to enjoy God's beauty and not have to focus on or worry about anything else - just the sounds, smells, and sights around me. The sunset we got to view was just amazing, although the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. They each got some more birds that evening, and the next night we went to one of their houses to eat some of the birds they shot. The boys kept claiming the dove was supposedly very good. I was a bit more skeptical. They were DELICIOUS!! They marinated all day, and then were wrapped in bacon with a jalepeno slice in between the meat & bacon, and then grilled. The meat was so rich and flavorful. I would be happy to let my husband go dove hunting again if it means I get to eat more of that deliciousness. The biggest, and most important part of this is that my husband is very kind and stuck to his word that I wouldn't have to touch a dead bird - and he even refrained from throwing them at me or making me look at them too much. YUCK. DOUBLE YUCK. Didn't care that he shot it, don't care that I ate it, but I don't need any part of the in-between stages!!! =)
The handsome hunter:

No comments: