Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Laundry Room



Oh, poor Husband. He never knows what he's going to get into with this wife of his!! When I get bored, I look around the house to see what kind of projects I can come up with to pass the time. One day, I decided the laundry room needed to be updated. It was, after all, the only room in the house that was all white! I rummaged around the garage to see what kind of goodies I could find, and came up with some white paint among other things. White paint? But I thought it was already white. Oh yes, the walls were white, but I wanted the cabinets and doors white! Husband gets out of the shower one night as he's getting ready for work and asks, "What's that smell?" "Oh, you don't really want to know!" "What is it?" "Don't worry about it and don't come in here!!" Too late - he walks in to the laundry room to see doors spread out all over the place, hardware scattered everywhere, and smelly, old white paint splattered on his wife and covering the cabinets and doors... I put the old brass knobs from the bathroom (I bought really cheap silver knobs to match the rest of the bathroom fixtures) on the doors, which was a vast improvement over the 1970s knobs and pulls that were previously on there. With the new knobs and fresh white paint, the cabinets and doors looked brand new!! Husband had previously put up a shelving/hanging unit using parts of an old desk and some dowels we had laying around. I thought that would look better black than particle board, so I spray painted those. A couple of weeks later, I needed another task so I got to mixing paint for the walls - I took a little white primer we had left over, and some royal blue clearance paint we used to make the stripe in our dining room to make a bright light blue. It's awfully bright and vivid, but I love it in the laundry room!! Husband got out of the shower after getting ready for work to find his wife at it again... I am so pleased with the end result. The laundry room feels brand new and is well organized again. The sign on the wall says, "When I said I do, I didn't mean Laundry!" Aunt Lois found it for us, and makes me smile... especially since Husband is the one that tends to do more laundry in this house than me!! =) Our switchplate cover is from Dad and has one of my favorite story-book characters, Winnie the Pooh, and says, "Happy bee-ing me," a good reminder as I go in and out of the house each day to be happy with what I have been given and to enjoy the positive things we've got going on right now!
The freshly painted cabinets:
The shelves Husband fashioned and our two cheery parts of the laundry room!

Alley-cat likes the redone laundry room!

No comments: