Thursday, October 16, 2008

Friday - Arrivals & Rehearsal

Aunt Lois had a great idea for us - take some time on Friday morning, sneak away, and spend some quality, quiet moments together, away from the hecticness that was going on around us, and enjoy each other - the reason for the whole weekend! We took the idea and ran with it. HC & I grabbed some coffee and went to the reception stage. We admired the handiwork that had been done and were amazed at the transformation of the room. We opened our presents to each other. I got HC sterling cufflinks with the Harley-Davidson Police Badge etched on them - they were a hit!! HC's present to me brought tears to my eyes - I got a clock with Lady Justice on it and the one that really did it to me - a plaque with the following poem:
A special kind of woman. A cut above the rest. Always rating her among the very best.
How many goodbyes are shouted without a fond embrace. As duty steals her man away for the dangers he must face.
How many meals are ruined or tender moments disturbed. All for the call of loyaltyto which her man must serve.
She can push the mower,or paint a room in need. How she can stretch a dollar is a miracle indeed.
She's a mother, a lover,a chauffeur and a nurse. A living symbol of the phrasefor better or for worse.
Rich is the man indeed... That became this Woman's life.

That means so much to me, because I am so proud to be a policeman's wife, and I know how much it means to HC to have my support for his job and everything that comes with it. We enjoyed a few more moments together, realizing that the next time we sat at that table together, we would be husband and wife - what an uterly exciting realization!!
The friends and family began arriving and helped with last minute balloon decorations and other projects. Callie sensed the excitement and the arrival of everyone. She thought she would help improve the showmanship of the house and add a hole for a new pool to the backyard. Thanks Callie... Before we knew it, it was time to stop projects and get ready for the rehearsal! The whole afternoon had been a whirlwind of excitement as people showed up, lots of hugs, and many small projects completed. Around 5:15, I had the house to myself for about 15 minutes- I didn't know what to do with the quiet and lack of chaos.
We had the rehearsal at the church at 6, and I was so excited to see more family and friends that had arrived. I also was super excited to see my groom and realize that we were there to practice for OUR WEDDING - when we got married!! After the rehearsal, we had dinner in our Halloween decorated room, complete with skull fountain dripping dark red liquid from the eye sockets (black cherry koolaid) and steam rising from the bowl and chocolate pumpkin and ghost covered pretzel rods. The little kids had a blast running around, and the flower girl and ring bearer became fast friends. We then headed up to the golf course for the after-rehearsal party. We practically had the place to ourselves, which was great! The highlight of the evening had to be when HC's dad and two uncles sauntered into the place with their cowboy boots and hats - they are quite the imposing group, and I think the whole place stopped in their tracks to take notice of these three guys' entrance!

No comments: