So here I am almost two weeks after my oral arguments at the NE Supreme Court. It was such a positive – and dare I say it – FUN experience! I was a bit nervous the night before, but Ty reminded me that I had prepared well, I knew my material, and it would all come back to me and be clear the next morning. As usual, he was right! I woke up the next morning confident and ready to go. I had no nervousness and was even starting to get excited about it all. The only time I started to get a bit hesitant about things was when it took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot at the Capitol! I forgot the Legislature was in session, which always makes parking spots at a premium. I finally found one and the long walk in the fresh air was actually really nice and helped me clear my mind. The lawyers’ room (or waiting room) is just gorgeous. The ceiling has ornate work, including words like “justice,” reminding those there what they are there for. The Supreme Court Courtroom itself is just as awe-inspiring. It was such a privilege to be able to perform my duties in a place like this! As opposing counsel was presenting his argument and answering the Justices’ questions, I became even more confident, knowing I was fully prepared, at least in the direction they all seemed to be heading! During my argument, I felt I was able to fully and completely answer any questions posed to me, as well as get my perspective across to the Justices. (Here’s a link to my arguments: http://www.supremecourt.ne.gov/oral-arguments/sc/archive/4-11-sc-oral-arguments.shtml - click on the film reel to the right of “Video of Oral Arguments for the day - PART 1” under Tuesday, April 5th. Opposing counsel is first, and then it’s my turn!) I anticipate it will take several months yet to get the opinion, but I’m excited to read it! After arguments, we were able to go spend the day with Caden and enjoyed bowling, playing in the park, and ice cream, which was so fun and special. In the mean-time, I am busy preparing for two jury trials yet this month, including a felony drug trial, among other contested hearings, and looking ahead to my 9 trials scheduled in July. It’s a busy time! We’re looking forward to our trip to Boston and New York later this month, as well as a motorcycle trip to Grand Island for Law Enforcement Memorial Week.
No comments:
Post a Comment